Monday, February 15, 2010

I think I just got something...

So Coach Taylor in Friday Night Lights likes to talk about, you know "Going back to why we PLAY football in the first place." It's just a game, it's just for fun. We PLAY it because we like it, because it's a game kids start to play after school in the yard. Forget all this politics and crap, and play the game you love.

I think it's the same with scientists (and probably any other field, too). It's all just a game, just puzzles, just problems you have fun solving. Like a crossword or chess or sudoku, or trying to guess the end of a movie. I think all too often people get bogged down in the seriousness of it. In the money, in the personal reputations, in the livelihood they hope to gain from it. Joy is much simpler than that.

Anyway. I think I've still got that UAH shooting on my mind. Crazy shit, that.

No comments:

Post a Comment